Why should I be concerned about APP protection? You will get your answer if you take a moment to think about the number of apps being used by your organization. With the rising number of Apps that are being used nowadays, the vulnerabilities are also increasing at an alarming rate. Apps are generally secured by implementing a secure software development lifecycle(SSDLC) but sometimes this is not sufficient and you need an extra layer of protection for the applications that you have deployed. This is where Rasp security comes in. It hunts for malware during runtime. The digital infrastructure is becoming increasingly complex and the difficulty of keeping the network secure is also increasing exponentially. Organizations can no longer afford to ignore this crucial security factor and risk threats like broken authentication, injection, code moderation, and reverse engineering to name a few. Security breaches can be expensive, besides damaging the company’s reputation. This is one of the reasons that organizations are opting for RASP security to safeguard their apps from inside.
What is RASP Security?
RASP is security software that is integrated with the application, wherein it intercepts fraudulent calls in the incoming traffic and brings hidden vulnerabilities to light. It deals with the runtime attacks on the software’s security layer. As the rasp solution stays within the App, it is capable of neutralizing known as well as unknown attacks without the requirement of any kind of human intervention. Traditional security solutions such as web application firewalls protect the app by preventing any potential threat. Nowadays, attack vectors are devised in such a manner that they cannot be detected by traditional methods. RASP, however immediately identifies such threats and blocks them before they can cause any harm.
What are the main attributes to look for in a RASP solution?
- Comprehensive Support – An ideal RASP solution should be able to support common enterprise languages such as JAVA, .NET, etc., and relatively new languages and frameworks such as RUBY, PHP, and Python.
- Better visibility than WAF solution – WAF is positioned in such a manner that it can only analyze web traffic in transit, so the data must be decoded to understand the type of threat. In contrast, the RASP solution provides visibility at a code level. This ensures that potential attacks are accurately detected and the false positives are negligible.
- Active as well as Passive Incident Response Features – A RASP solution should enable the user to actively log, alert and even block a malicious attack.
- Autonomous Operation – RASP products are cloud-based and should not need any human intervention to block the threats.
Why is RASP security important?
Application protection at runtime is generally done by using technologies such as intrusion prevention systems and web application firewalls. These security solutions inspect the network traffic and analyze it along with the user sessions. But they are unable to see how the traffic and content are processed inside the application. Besides consuming a large amount of security team bandwidth, they are not accurate enough to terminate the user session. They are good for collecting logging data and alerts but if you require an advanced security solution, go for RASP which works inside the application’s runtime environment.
What are the main challenges involved in Application protection?
Developers face a lot of challenges while securing their apps against attacks by unauthorized persons. Some of these are:
- With the advancement in software, virtual and elastic environments are being used to deploy the apps quickly. Although saving precious time, they inadvertently expose the code to new vulnerabilities. The rapidly developing software has become too complicated to be secured by traditional methods.
- Most organizations use WAF to secure their apps but fail to deploy a team that has expertise in keeping them operational.
- Identifying real attacks is becoming increasingly difficult. An HTTP request for one application may be devastating while the same request may be harmless for another. Impedance mismatch is another problem to reckon with.
Needless to say, RASP security can address almost all these challenges.
What are the Key Benefits of Using RASP security?
- Since RASP works within the application, it has access to key information like the code, application server configuration, runtime data flow, backend connections, libraries, etc. This ensures broader protection and accuracy.
- RASP has considerably less deployment and operational costs.
- RASP can easily be deployed onto the existing servers, hence saving a lot of money.
- RASP delivers lower OpEx and CapEx.
- It ensures increased accuracy with fewer resources.
- It works well with web services, cloud apps, and agile development.
- RASP solutions scrutinize the actual behavior of the application and do not require the statistical model to be recalibrated.
- It works effortlessly both in the cloud and on-premises.
- It provides visibility into application-layer attacks, thus ensuring a well-coordinated defense mechanism.
- RASP provides accurate information about the assets that are being targeted.
- RASP provides precise information about exact lines of code that are compromised, so that corrective action may be initiated in time.
- RASP can be deployed in all environments and ensures that the applications can defend themselves against any threat in real-time.
RASP has heralded a new era of self-protecting applications that are safe to use. It does not require any change in the application. Besides increasing safety, it enhances the performance of the app by detecting threats in runtime. Appsealing is a foolproof security tool that helps organizations stay away from cyberattacks and concentrate on business development by focusing on the features and usability of the application. It can be used by organizations that have a large database with stringent compliance requirements such as media, gaming, Fintech, or healthcare. Both Android and IOS applications can be secured by RASP. So, without wasting any more time, apply the advanced security features of RASP to safeguard your app without writing a single line of code.