Will digital marketing completely replace traditional marketing? These debates, fights, or studies continue to take place without answering the above question. Many people think that, for most marketing campaigns that technology can do, traditional marketing is no longer used much. So what are the differences between digital marketing compared to traditional marketing? Let’s find out together through the following article.
1. Characteristics of Digital Marketing and Traditional Marketing
1.1 Traditional Marketing
Traditional marketing has many facets of it, for example, tangible products such as business cards, advertisements in printed newspapers, magazines. It also includes posters, flyers, posters, and advertisements on television and radio. Traditional marketing is any form of advertising for products or brands not through digital media. Another expression of traditional marketing is that you build relationships with customers when they come to your business through advertisements.
1.2 Digital marketing
Digital marketing is growing day by day, along with the development of technology. Digital marketing includes elements such as websites, social media, web advertisements, videos, etc. Digital marketing is similar to traditional marketing, but it uses digital tools. However, digital marketing is considered a form of inbound marketing and the goal is to get people to know you. People can see you through the organic search engines, through the paid ads you make, or accidentally read the information on social networking sites, blogs, etc. The more they are exposed, the better. they will become more familiar with your brand, thereby developing trust and relationships with you through this online communication.
2. Advantages and disadvantages of Digital marketing and Traditional marketing
2.1 Traditional marketing
Due to long-term use, customers are used to traditional forms of marketing. Finding information about products through advertisements in newspapers, magazines, and leaflets is still a habit of many people. However, during the duration of the campaign, the target audience is quite low due to geographical limitations. Besides, measuring the effectiveness of a campaign is quite difficult, and in rare cases may not be. In most situations, the cost for traditional marketing is also higher than for digital marketing. And the biggest disadvantage of traditional marketing is not interacting directly with customers. It’s like throwing information out the window and hoping people will pick it up.
2.2 Digital marketing
You can easily measure the effectiveness of a campaign and can reach an endless number of customers. Depending on the campaign goal, we can adjust the target audience by geography, demographics, habits, etc. Digital marketing has high interaction with customers through social networks. The more you interact with your customers, the more valuable feedback you get. One small downside of digital marketing is that it takes some time to measure the effectiveness of a campaign.
Moreover, with the era of technology revolution 4.0, everyone tends to go to the internet more. Marketing with discount codes, coupon codes will attract more customers, thereby selling more effectively.
3. Compare the similarities and differences between Digital Marketing and Traditional Marketing
The aim is to satisfy the customer. Marketing campaigns are designed to attract potential customers and strengthen the trust of loyal customers.
The effectiveness of the marketing strategy will bring businesses great profits and brand positioning in the market.
From the above comparisons, we can draw the difference between traditional marketing and modern marketing:
- Traditional marketing promotes products and services, using conventional channels like radio, television, newspapers, etc. On the other hand, Digital marketing is the process of promoting and selling your products and services through a marketing agency like Miron Digital. They use online marketing channels and tactics.
- While traditional marketing is passive (passive listeners in accessing information), Digital marketing has an active version (active listeners in accessing information).
- Digital marketing reaches potential customers faster than traditional marketing. Digital marketing has a tool to find data about customers who have interests and are interested in related products. So digital marketing ads are shown to these audiences and help generate qualified leads. For example, for those who love shopping, digital marketing will offer promotional strategies, discount codes, coupons to attract customers.
- The interaction between the customer and the company through various online or offline channels. Therefore, the customer interaction rate in Digital marketing is higher than in traditional Marketing. This is because customers can directly view product details and other offers, with just one click, without having to go to a showroom or company for product details.
- It is not possible to calculate specific return on investment in the case of using traditional Marketing but one can easily calculate when using Digital marketing.
- Traditional marketing is both less effective and more expensive, while less expensive digital marketing is more effective.
- With digital marketing, one can easily track where the buyers are coming from, what are the most viewed products, are there promotions, are there discount codes, coupons, how many customers are purchasing, the product, who is interested in the product, etc. On the other hand, in traditional Marketing, tracking customers is not possible.
- Traditional marketing uses standardized methods to target customers. Therefore, it involves mass marketing with a very low level of personal reach. In contrast, Digital marketing uses personalization. This means only those products are shown to customers that they have been interested in recently or who have been searching for it over the internet for a long time.
- For Traditional Marketing, it is not possible to adjust when the ad is published. As for digital marketing, adjustments can be made at any time, even after the ad has run.
- The reach of customers in traditional marketing is limited between countries and territories. On the other hand, Digital marketing uses the Internet, the products and services being promoted can attract global demand.
- Coming to the results, traditional marketing takes time to get the results of marketing activities. However, digital marketing can get results quickly.
- For traditional marketing, consumers cannot ignore ads, because they are bound to see them. However, digital marketing allows consumers to avoid or ignore advertisements that they do not find useful or that they are not interested in.
- Traditional marketing is a one-way communication, the company advertises product information but does not receive customer feedback. In contrast, Digital marketing is two-way communication. Both advertise information to customers and receive their feedback on products and services, in the form of reviews, etc.
Of course, traditional marketing doesn’t mean it’s outdated. Traditional marketing still plays an important role in people’s lives with the need to step out of the digital world increasing.
Similarly, Digital Marketing is just as important as traditional, if not more so. Digital marketing uses your regular Internet outreach to reach you.
Thus, once you have a good understanding of digital marketing, research, and apply it, administrators will find many interesting and effective things when combining Digital marketing and traditional marketing. Traditional marketing principles are always practical, while Digital marketing always updates the development trend of technology and the market.