Difference between hiring an Immigration lawyer and hiring a Regulated Immigration Consultant



A British Politician Priti Patel said, “When it is well managed, migration works in the national interest, for our communities, economy, and country.” What a delightful thought? Isn’t it? Sometimes it is not the doing but the intention that matters. The Canadian Dream of scores of people relies on the shoulders of Immigration lawyers and Regulated Immigration Consultant. The only intention of these Immigration Lawyers and Regulated Immigration Consultants is to facilitate a smooth and error-free immigration service to all who approach them. The flip side of this scenario is quite tough too. When it comes to choosing between the two (Immigration lawyer and immigration consultant) it creates a nonplussed situation. 


As we already know there is two types of professionals who are authorized to represent people during the immigration process before immigration authorities. The government authorizes government bodies either provincially or federally to license and regulate them both; the immigration lawyers and regulated immigration consultant. They are:

  1. Immigration Lawyers: They are also called attorneys. It is mandatory for lawyers to attend law school to complete a 3-year degree. To be legally registered they have to clear a bar exam. Thereafter, they need to undergo an internship period with a law firm during or after their studies. Before attending a law school, most law programs have a prerequisite of an undergraduate degree.
  2. Regulated Immigration Consultant: They are not lawyers. To be registered, they usually undergo certification for one year. They need not have an undergraduate degree to complete their certification.Immigration-Consultant


There are a bunch of differences between the two professionals. Let us learn the differences between them both. 

  1. As we have noticed above that the first difference is that Immigration Lawyers are better educated in comparison to Immigration consultants. Lawyers also understand the law better due to a formal education in law. The duration of education differs too. To be a lawyer one is required to study for at least seven years. Conversely, to be an Immigration Consultant one needs to complete a one-year college program. 
  2. The second difference is that Immigration lawyers can appear in the Federal Courts to represent their clients. On the other hand, Immigration Consultants are not allowed to appear in the Federal courts on behalf of their clients.
  3. The Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) regulates all the Canadian Immigration Consultants. Once you are enrolled as an Immigration Consultant, you are given an ICCRC number that certifies you. If you are hiring an Immigration Consultant ensure that he has a valid ICCRC number. 

On the Contrary, Immigration Lawyers do not have an ICCRC number. They are registered under a bar and province. Provincial Law societies govern and regulate the Immigration Lawyers.

It is important to note that, Immigration Consultants are equally worthy of representing their clients in immigration matters, if not more. There are Consultants who are extremely capable of handling routine immigration cases like visa applications and the like kinds. The experience level of the consultant matters a lot. Sometimes, some consultants get trained under lawyers or senior consultants too. These Immigration consultants work side by side with Immigration lawyers and learn all the legal details and aspects of legal services. These consultants gain expertise and are capable of providing exceptional immigration services to clients.

There are professional immigration consultants in Canada who can guide you well. All you need to do is look for them online. For e.g.: if you search for Immigration Consultants in the Toronto area online, you will get a big list of Immigration Consultants in the Toronto area. 


It is your personal choice to decide about whom you will approach for immigration services. It is critical to ensure that the professional your approach has a valid license or an ICCRC number.